Spurred by recent illnesses and deaths of friends and family members, and cognizant of our own mortality, a group of us has been working to get our affairs in order to have a simple burial or cremation. After reviewing the relevant legal issues in West Virginia to ensure self-directed care for each other after death, we have gathered information and developed some simple forms to ensure self-directed care for each other after death.
To assist in this effort, we have formed the Saranam Burial Society, a collaboration of friends who are committed to helping each other with end-of-life and post-death wishes. We support traditions of simple burial and community care. In addition, we encourage informed, planned, inexpensive, and self-directed arrangements. Saranam also offers a cemetery which follows green burial practices. We realize that much of what we discovered is useful for everyone, in planning for end-of-life.
We are working toward a resource page on the Saranam website. Until then the following Google Docs link will get you to all the resources we have developed so far.
The forms include:
- Link to all of our forms on Google Drive
- Declaration Regarding Disposition of Physical Body Form.pdf
- End-of-Life Coordinator Checklist.pdf
- Green Burial and End of Life Resource Links.pdf
- Post-Death Wishes Form.pdf
- Recommended End-of-Life Artifacts.pdf
- SBS Registration Form.pdf
- SBS Support Request Form.pdf
If you want forms, or wish to file forms or schedule a time to see the cemetery, contact us using the Contact page.